Real baseball that counts is just a few days away. The Yankees open their season in the Bronx on Thursday against the Blue Jays. They will have just over 10,000 fans in the building after a season with no fans in Yankee Stadium. On paper, the Yankees are regarded as one of the best teams in baseball. Can they avoid the big injury bug? Can they win a 28th World Series title?
To preview the Yankees season, we bring you a new episode of the “Pinstripe Pod” with Chris Shearn and four-time World Series champion Jeff Nelson, featuring a chat with the Post’s Ken Davidoff and former Yankees outfielder and current special adviser to the GM, Nick Swisher.
Pinstripe Pod Opening Segment with Chris, Jeff & Jake:
- BULLPEN: Sixth and Seventh inning guys will be important, especially in beginning of season. Overall it looks solid when they are healthy.
- ROTATION: Jordan Montgomery could go deep into games. Could be a big season for him. Jameson Taillon will have an innings limit. Hoping him and Corey Kluber can stay healthy, but they won’t pitch deep into games.
- LINEUP: Jay Bruce will be very important in the lineup as one of the only lefties. They have not had left-handed power in a while.
Nick Swisher Interview:
Former Yankees outfielder, 2009 World Series champion
- 2021 YANKEES: Loves this team. Bruce is a veteran and could hit in any situation. Not concerned with rotation. Kluber has two Cy Youngs. Taillon has had an amazing comeback story. Gary Sanchez needs to relax.
- SPECIAL ADVISER ROLE: Pumps up the kids in the minor leagues. Loves the grind and being part of the Yankees organization. Wants to be a manager one day.
- OLD TIMER’S DAY: Hit a homer in second deck off Nellie in 2018. Nellie gave him a cookie to hit.
- 2009 MEMORIES: Xavier Nady going down. Everybody knew their role on that team, just like late 90’s Yankees. Loved the bleacher creatures, roll call.
Ken Davidoff Interview:
NY Post longtime baseball columnist
- BEST TEAM: Yankees could be right there with Dodgers as best team in baseball, if they stay healthy.
- BULLPEN: Lots of depth on roster that they can handle early injuries.
- PREDICTIONS: White Sox will be competition in AL. Yankees win division, but do not win the pennant.
Catch up on all episodes of “Pinstripe Pod,” a New York Yankees podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. Next Monday will be our season preview episode with special guest Nick Swisher.